God is a master artist, a genius creator. When He created eARTh, He built ART into every nook and cranny of it.
And as beautiful and majestic and wonderful as the ART He created in eARTh was, at its completion God pronounced it as merely “good”. Genesis 1:10, 12
Why was that?
Because the masterpiece of His creative, artistic genius was to be His next design.
Down to the ground God stooped. Fingers spread across the soil. Skillfully coiling and releasing, He gathers piles of soil. He heaps it into just the right weight and molds it into just the right shape, into just the right depth, into just the right length.
He rounds the upper part, and within it He works meticulously and methodically—mapping out its complexity, connecting over 100 billion nerves, and building in communication pathways through trillions of connections.
Satisfied that He’s created what will forever be the seat of intelligence, the interpreter of the senses, the initiator of movement, and the controller of behavior, He wraps it protectively in a hard shell and continues His ingenious work.
Creating a finely-tuned pumping instrument, beating around 100,000 times a day to serve the whole structure.
Upon completion God stands. He levitates Himself enough to get an aerial view. The satisfied smile matches the twinkle in His eyes confirming His crown jewel was complete.
Returning to the side of the one thing in the whole of creation that He made with His own hands and in His own image—human—God then declares: “[now it is] very good”!! Genesis 1:31
His adoring declaration thunders through all of creation, ricocheting off trees and mountains, echoing in vales and under waves, and carried on the wings of birds:
If you’re like me, most days you feel like anything but a masterpiece. Thankfully how we feel about ourselves diminishes in no way our identity, our worth, or our value as was built into us when God made the masterpiece-you/the masterpiece-me.
As the masterpiece-you, here are a few things to note:
- takes time to create in order to capture all the details and intricacies—how it appears at the beginning is nothing compared to how it will look in the end;
- is a one-of-a-kind, unique work of art—it may be imitated but never can it be duplicated;
- is precious and of extreme value to the artist primarily because it’s the culmination of the artist’s love, skills, creativity and hard work poured out into the piece;
- cannot create itself, what it will turn out to be is as it is predetermined and manifested by the artist;
- points to the artists’ talent while evoking inspiration to those viewing it; and,
- is almost always on display.
You’re a work of art on display in this world for God’s glory. You’re the living canvas on which the master Artist, the genius Creator is producing a work of art. And He’s devoted to His artistry in you simply because He loves you with His don’t-want-anything-in-return kind o’ love.
Shabbat Shalom. May you live assuredly in knowing that you’re a masterpiece, created by God unto good works and that He absolutely adores you.
All rights reserved
Thank you for journeying along!